Monday, February 9, 2009

Lots to remember for this update

Let's see if I can think of every bit of information I was told today--Ultrasound (or Biophysical profile) looked good. Amniotic fluid levels were good, baby was practicing breathing so Paula said lungs were ready to go if baby came out today, guesstimate weight right now 7 lbs. 4 oz., kept gender a surprise!, lots of movement which gave me a good "score" and Paula said it was a big headed, chubby cheeked--but pretty-- baby. Paula (the ultrasound tech) and nurse Carol both commented on how low the baby is sitting now. Paula said my belly was ALL BABY and she guesses it will deliver weighing about 8 1/2 lbs in the next two weeks. My blood pressure was a "textbook number" today according to Carol (120/70). Weight was actually up two pounds (but I had on a pair of yellowboxes that I don't usually wear and I swear they weigh 2 lbs!) Checked my hemoglobin again today and that number was in the good range. Measured 37 1/2 weeks this time (at 36). Dr. Gallaspy did an internal exam and said I was 70% effaced and almost 1 cm dilated. He said today he would take the baby by 39 weeks. So, this should definitely be a February baby and not a March one. My sugar levels started running higher this week, which I figured was because of the cold I've been battling, but Dr. G said it was because the baby was using up all my insulin now that it's getting bigger. So, he increased my insulin shots by another 2 units each time. He said he would be worried if my sugar levels didn't run higher in the next few weeks, so no concerns there. Next week I'll get another BPP and a non stress test along with my internal exam. And hopefully that covers everything you wanted to know!

Oh! Had a good shower yesterday at the church. I think we have enough diapers to last us about 3 months now and probably enough wipes to last us at least 6. Got the high chair, tub, and diaper pail. Got enough onesies and gowns to get the child through the first 4-5 months of life. Got nail clippers and thermometers and other necessities in healthcare kits as well as some fashionable bags for the child's belongings. Finally got the kid a couple of toys and books. And of course, I'm leaving out lots of other precious items received but those are the things that are sticking out in my mind right now. If you need to know what we still are missing or could use the most, just ask! :)

No comments: