Thursday, January 1, 2009

glucose tolerance

Ok, let me set this straight for any of you out there who might have to do this test, I was under the impression that I would have my FINGER stuck 4 times in a 3 hour period. Um NO! I had needles stuck in my ARM FIVE times in a 3 hour period. Arthur says it was probably a good thing I didn't know they were drawing large amounts of blood each time or I would have been even more anxious about the test. Fortunately for us all, I did not faint. This poor nurse tried to talk me thru each stick, but she wasn't very good at it. Arthur stepped up to the plate during a couple of them and distracted me from what was going on by engaging me or the nurse in conversation. I would still get woozy with each prick and waited a few minutes after she was finished before I would try to stand up. I guess it was a good thing I was sleep deprived and hungry in order to make it thru the ordeal. She alternated arms each time and the bruises have started forming today. Oh, and this time I had to drink a lemon lime flavored drink that was twice as sugary as the last one I had. And this one wasn't refrigerated, and I didn't get to pour it over ice and slurp it through a straw. But I still made it through it. But enough about what poor me had to actually go through. She only checked the blood sugar levels herself at the beginning and the end. The 3 in the middle are the ones that really matter but those get processed at the lab. On her monitor, my fasting blood sugar was 132, but she took it on to the lab and their number was 120. She said her monitor was usually off and she wanted to see how far off it was (apparently by 12 points for me). So, my last check was 166 (which will probably end up about 154 at the lab). She said Dr. Gallaspy should get the lab results tomorrow (Friday) so hopefully I'll hear something from him tomorrow or Monday at the latest. I don't know what my levels necessarily should have been for the two she gave me numbers for, so I can't say for sure right now which way things will go for me when Dr. G calls. But I'll let everybody know the results as soon as I hear them. For those of you who thought the test was still last Friday and tried checking on me, THANKS! It made me feel good to know I have friends that were thinking of me. I'll make sure to get back with you first--as soon as I know what the dr's orders will be.

No comments: