Monday, March 8, 2010

Our first family stomach virus

Not all things are meant to be shared---like a stomach virus. Turner had a bad poop at school Friday morning that required his clothes being changed and left him a bit of a diaper rash, but I didn't think anything about it. He was fussy Friday evening, not hungry, and fell asleep early, but the warning alarms still didn't go off. I went to bed around 9:30 pm and at 10:30 while Arthur was on the computer, he heard Turner make a noise and start crying, so he headed down to soothe him. There he found a crib full of puke. So, they come get me and we get him cleaned up. Arthur holds him to get him back to sleep and there he goes again! After the third time in 30 minutes, I call the doctor's office. I know--new mom--but he had just had shots Wednesday and I needed reassuring that he wasn't having some adverse reaction to the vaccinations. The nurse said there had been a really nasty stomach virus going on and that she suspected we picked it up at the office. Give him some Pedialyte and make sure he doesn't get dehydrated and we should be fine! Easy enough when you live in the big city with 24 hour stores open. Not so easy when you live in rural Clarke County and nothing will open back up til 7 am. Turner finally went back to sleep around 12:30 and we headed to Greer's as soon as they would answer the phone. We waited around all morning to see how he was doing. Seemed to be fine, so we decided to head on to Mobile for his McLean family bday party. He did ok during the day--a couple of stinky poops but he didn't seem to be complaining. Then comes Sat night---Arthur gets the virus and does not fare as well as ole Turner did. Then it was my turn last night with the mildest case so far. But I'm still at home and not working today for my trips to the bathroom. I just hope the rest of the McLeans didn't get it from us. Once we all get back to normal, I'm sure Arthur will have some pics from the party Sat to show you. But trust me on this one, do everything you can to avoid getting this virus--it is a nasty one!

No comments: