Monday, November 5, 2007

engagement

Arthur proposed Sat night. Part of me had an idea that it was coming, but it still took me by surprise when he did it. He took me to Dish, a restaurant in Atlanta (we were there setting up a photography exhibit at Endymion). He left to go to the bathroom, which is unusual for Art. He came back and started this speech (and the whole time I was wondering--where is he going with this, did he have something in his hand when he sat down, is he proposing???). He had laid his hand on the table with the ring and the whole time I'm looking at his face and not realizing it! I looked down and was like "Arthur!!!". But I couldn't say anything because technically he had not asked me to marry him, so I had to say "But you haven't asked me yet!" So, he said "Will you marry me?" and I gladly said "YES!"
Now for a little insight to the setting--I had been stressing out all weekend because he told me he was taking me somewhere to eat and to dress nice but he wouldn't tell me the name of the restaurant. Well, I wasn't happy with my choices of what to wear, especially with the way the weather was acting. So, I was all pouty because I was afraid I would be underdressed. Well, come to find out, the atmosphere was a little more casual than either of us had expected. The salmon/brie pizza for an appetizer was good but the cheese tasting lacked a little. I had the portabella capped polenta tower while Art had the lamb. Both very good choices. We were seated on the patio and our seats happened to face the CVS pharmacy across the street. (It gave off a nice romantic glow, don't you know!) The couple facing us were in their early 20s and it was probably their first or second date. They were cracking us up because the guy starts off the evening talking about the Russian economy and Henry Kissinger. One minute he was having these deep intellectual conversations and the next minute he was acting childish. It was quite amusing, especially when they ended the date thumb wrestling! After Art proposed, we ordered glasses of sparkling wine and a slice of cheesecake for dessert! After leaving Dish, we headed to Old Vinings Inn, where Art's friend Cleve is the bar manager. A friend of mine from college joined us and we had a chance to celebrate (and of course we called our parents and closest friends who weren't with us to share the good news!)
We've talked a little about details but haven't made any decisions yet. I tell Arthur he gets to make most of the decisions :) We're thinking maybe April/May right now. We really like the idea of eloping, but most people who've been told in the last few days keep requesting a wedding. Of course, when we talked about a wedding guest list Sunday while brainstorming, we were thinking maybe 20 family members/close friends. So, we really don't know yet what we're going to do. Whatever makes us happy, of course.......

No comments: